Thursday, January 16, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza Freedom Quilt

I'm having fun today!  Last night I pulled my stash out and cut out 5" fabric rectangles of various sizes, sorted them out into a fairly attractive layout and called it a night.

Today, I stitched them all together!  What a colorful quilt this will be!!!



It's part of the Scrap-A-Palooza Scrappy QAL hosted by Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.  I joined in because a large part of my hesitance at tackling new projects is that I just don't know where to start.  I have a ton of patterns that I would love to make some day. But when it comes time to actually sit down and begin a new project, I get very indecisive and take too much time trying to figure out which will be the very best thing to make. In the end, I usually don't start anything new!  How lame is that? Wait - I don't really want an answer!

We were supposed to give our quilt a name. Stumped to come up with a good name, I decided I'd call this my Freedom Quilt. There is a snippet of fabric from Art Gallery that has the words 'Freedom' and 'Trust'.  Perfect for the liberty I feel just throwing a quilt together like this, and for the trust I have in following my fearless leader!




So, I'm feeling quite pleased with myself that I have a good start on this.  I need to even up the rows, and then figure out what color I want to use for the sashings.

That's where I need your help.  What color do you think I should use in between all the rows?  The photo shows the strips lying atop one another because I didn't have enough space to lay them all out evenly. But I thought you'd get the idea.

Let me know what's your solid color choice for this quilt.

Oh - here's a fun photo.  It's the shavings I accumulated after squaring up the half square triangles for my Round and Round Quilt.  Any mouse would be honored to have such a nice little nest, don't ya think?



Remember to always quilt with a smile,
Barb

6 comments:

  1. So bright and fun Barb. I bet a navy or dark blue would set those bars of color off nicely!

    Thanks for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those scraps look like a nice little animal shelter kitty bed to me! I vote for a medium solid grey....but I'm in to grey these days. It's going to be fantastic and I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scraps look beautiful all together! What a fun project! I have no idea about what color to use in between your rectangles. I love black with bright colors but not sure that's the effect you're looking for! I'll keep an eye out to see what you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colours. I think you need something rich. Maybe a deep emerald?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous mix of fabrics and a fun pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a scrumptious quilt! Thanks for sharing again at Val's linky so I could see this quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...